Friday 1 June 2012

Time to make a Bill Carter inspired Mitred Plane 

I would like to document a new project.
This is a plane by Bill Carter that I think its wonderful.


Look up Bills work and David Barron's you tube video of his collection of Bill's Planes (I think Garrett Hack has 6/7 so they must be in competition! an expensive one!) Umm I have met them both and have a nice signed copy of Garrett's book, he was a good guy from my humble estimation. Unlike many woodworkers these guys seem to have a bit of money! I am just jealous thats all...

This plane is going to cost about £10 in materials...

So to make this plane you need Box + African Blackwood (I have both already well seasoned for this) + a snecked iron.
So I have never done this to an iron before so here we go. (very excited)
Got an old Herring Bros to practice on and a perfect (brand new second hand - thanks Peter Tosh) ready for when my skills are honed...



Took a while to align holes carefully to not disrupt the nice stamp mark, notice the first holes are kept together with the rivet while the second hole is drilled to ensure perfect alignment - I have done a fair bit of raised head rivetting, but very little countersunk.



Really heavy blows dead on with the flat side of the hammer (my tests with the Ball side of a Ball Pein were not up to scratch)
Filing off the excess - old pitted surface causes a problem here...

Solution was my Dremel with a ball (now egg shaped!) stone...

Finished product - I am pleased with my first ever effort...
Everything left off the file - no fussing, just honest tool marks...

No comments:

Post a Comment