Sunday 15 July 2012

One All.

This is the most important piece in my life.

Too much for words to explain unfortunately. But I will distill a little. I was probably 20 at the time and always did small carvings. Small means fits easily in one hand. A close friend and mentor to me at the time said you should make them bigger. Try making your carvings larger and they will be more impressive. 2 hand sized. So I started on this carving, hammering away, hammering away...

Then I would go home stay up all night carving.
Go to College, make furniture then carve and hammer away, 14/16 hours + a day, and sleep less and carve...

Then my tendons just gave up, TWANG...

That was the start of my Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) and I have been in pain every day since that day. I will never get better - I have come to terms with that. I think.

It took 8 years for me to finish this carving.
Patience and a little bit at a time.
It did look better bigger. I just should have had a break.
Hey - if your hands hurt - have a break OK?

One all. I was never going to let it beat me.



This is as close to perfection as I ever want to go.
Its highly over rated perfection.
That comes from a perfectionist.
In many ways its a waste of time.

Quick confident work with minor mistakes.
That is my understanding now of craftsmanship.

Fussy thats what Peter Legg used to call us at College, Fussy. I understand him so much better now.

He just taught Blake Fewster for the World Skills Competition, Blake is 19 and a superb maker for his age, really passionate and motivated. Not upset yet with the retired beardy pipe smoking shaving tasting tool admiring hobbyists, or is that me? maybe I love it all really and am just hurt its not my career like I dreamed, only kidding, its much better as a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment