Friday 16 November 2012

My friend John kindly filed the teeth on this saw for me.
Check out his cool website here and the work he produces
using traditional techniques, glues and good solid British timber.
 
The idea was I would fund and make the blanks for 2 saws
and he would cut the teeth...
and we would have one each, but he gave them both to me saying:
'I practised on one and you keep the other,
get yourself a file and you can practise on the spare as well...'
What a gentleman. Well I am just honoured by the whole thing.
 
I have great pride in finishing this saw as the skill to file teeth is beyond me.
Perhaps also I underestimated the time it would take to do this?
 

It is not done yet, hole to be drilled, handle to polish.
This was a mock up to get length of cord right.
Next I will bind properly.

 
But what is important is John has passed on his love of Japanese Saws to me.
I mean this is what it is all about for me, this is the real sharing of
knowledge, tools and understanding, research and learning.
Thats why we met up on Sunday, I took 4/5 of my Japanese Kanna.
Let everyone plane some wood.
 
(Except you Rob - you were NOT going to plane any
Teak or Iroko with my 70mm Tsunesaburo Crest...sorry!!!!
he was only joking by the way...I hope?!?!)
 
Saws were not a big part of the processes I used,
but making one always puts you closer to the depth that resides.
The sword inside the blade as it were.
Or should that be the Nokogiri inside the steel?
 
This Osaehiki Nokogiri was made by British makers, 
to a Japanese design and it cuts real good.
Next I will make some Japanese Dai with it.

2 comments:

  1. you guys are great Nagatsu-san,
    ( Japanese saw doctor )is gonna love you two.:)
    PS can I please have a little go with the saw and take it for a test drive.
    Andy Ryalls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andy, of course you can use the saw! I will bring it next time. Made a Tachi-Kanna Dai with it this week in Antique Japanese Oak, will bring that as well. Can't wait to meet him, just fear I cannot do 4 days...

    ReplyDelete